A- Passport - Visa - Health and Insurance Issues:
- Do the students need their passports or ID cards to enter the TRNC?
Since the 2005-2006 Academic Year, students who will study in the TRNC must enter the TRNC with their passports. Therefore, they should have their passports when traveling to the TRNC.
- Is a medical report required? What is the content of a medical report?
According to the regulations of the TRNC Ministry of Health, starting from the 2005-2006 Academic Year, students who study in Northern Cyprus are required to submit their health reports during the student resident application. The report, which includes the results of tests for HCV-HIV-HBSAG-RPR with a lung scope or a lung graph for tuberculosis, should be taken from full-fledged speciality hospitals connected to the Turkish Ministry of Health or university hospitals, or from laboratories approved by the TRNC. Medical reports shall not be redone every year.
Health insurance payment (10% of the minimum monthly wage for one year) is done during residency permit application.
- What is required to get a TRNC driving license?
For 180 days from the date of entry of the related (Amendment) Regulation (31.10.2022), the following rules are to be applied to foreign driving license holders.
- A Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus driving licence must be obtained within one month of losing visitor status in the TRNC by anyone having a valid foreign driver's license.
- A person who has a valid driver's license issued in a foreign country other than the Republic of Turkey;
(A) Must apply to the Driver's License Renewal Unit by submitting their current driving license and paying the fee for a 5 (five) year TRNC driving license.
(B) Must apply to a driver's school within one week from the date of application. The individual must operate the driving school car for at least five days, including eight hours during the day and two hours at night, all while being closely supervised by the driver's school teacher.
(C) Must get a signed and stamped document from the driving school at the end of the five-day training period declaring that the lessons have been completed.
(D) Must apply to obtain the Driving License of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus no later than one month from the date of receipt together with the document to be obtained from the Driver's School and the receipt previously received from the Driver's License Renewal Unit.
- Are students required to get a visa and a residence permit when they arrive in the TRNC?
It is not required to get a visa to enter the TRNC***. We would like to remind you that all flights to Northern Cyprus are connected via Türkiye. Therefore, depending upon your nationality, you may need a TRANSIT VISA of Republic of Türkiye. You may contact the nearest Turkish Embassy/Consulate (www.mfa.gov.tr ) to get advice on visa requirements and complete VISA formalities by presenting the letter of acceptance issued by the University.
***Citizens of Pakistan are required to have a visa to enter TRNC. You may contact the nearest TRNC Representative Office (https://international.ncc.metu.edu.tr/immigration-and-residency-updates/ ) to get advice on visa requirements and complete VISA formalities by presenting the letter of acceptance issued by the university.
Students issued with an acceptance letter shall be guided about VISA formalities by the university student support officer, Mrs. Linda Bahar Can email@example.com +90 392 661 21 05 before arrival to campus.
B- Transportation and Communication:
- How can one travel to the TRNC?
All flights to Northern Cyprus are connected via Türkiye. You have to purchase your ticket through Türkiye and the final destination is going to be the Ercan Airport. It is not possible to travel to the Campus through any other airport in Cyprus. We recommend that you purchase your ticket with Turkish Airlines as you may not need to get a transit visa for Türkiye. Turkish Airlines will connect you to the Ercan Airport, which means that your luggage will be transferred automatically.
- How can one get to the Campus?
Taking a taxi from the Ercan Airport is the shortest way to get to the Campus. However, the Campus arranges transportation for all new students at the beginning of each semester (Fall & Spring) on condition that they fill the airport pick up form (Instructions in Acceptance Letter). In addition, there are other companies that provide transportation from the airport to the Campus. Today, the KIBHAS Bus service is a preferred way of travel to the Campus.
Please click the link below for the timetable of KIBHAS buses. (Reservation is required.)
KIBHAS Phone Numbers: Information Tel: 0533 870 48 44
Lefke-Güzelyurt Office Tel: 0533 870 78 49
Ercan Office Tel: 0533 870 78 48;
Lefkoşa Office: 0533 870 78 45 / 0392 228 85 90
Girne Office: 0533 870 78 46
Mağusa Office: BUS STATION: 0533 870 78 47 EMU: 0533 850 2924
- How are mobile phone communication services provided in the TRNC?
It is advised to use a TRNC mobile line in Cyprus since operators charge "International call" rates in the TRNC, which are much more expensive. So students can chose one of the two GSM operators in the TRNC: Turkcell Northern Cyprus and Telsim (Vodafone). On the Campus, there is a Turkcell branch where students can buy a sim card and upload call credits if needed. Also, in case of any emergency at the Ercan airport, there are Turkcell and Vodafone offices just outside the exit gates.
C. Campus Location and Facilities:
- Where exactly is METU Northern Cyprus Campus?
The Campus is in the Kalkanlı region, which is 50km west of Lefkoşa and 6km north of Güzelyurt. It takes 10 minutes from the Campus to Güzelyurt, and 45 minutes to Lefkoşa and Girne.
Please click the link below for a detailed map:
- What kind of cultural, social, sports and entertainment facilities are there on the Campus?
The Campus has the warm and friendly environment of a Mediterranean island that is suitable for international interaction and is rich with various cultural, sports and entertainment facilities. There are outdoor tennis, basketball and volleyball courts on the Campus for the use of students. A sports hall with a variety of indoor sports facilities, an outdoor swimming pool and a carpet football field are also available. In addition, conferences, concerts, film shows, cultural activities organized at the Culture and Convention Center, events organized by student groups and the Spring Festival constitute only part of campus life.
- Where is the nearest shopping center around the Campus?
Other than the ones on the Campus and in Kalkanlı, the nearest shopping center is in Güzelyurt. However, other shopping locations such as Lefkoşa or Girne are only approximately 30 minutes away.
- Are alcoholic drinks sold on the Campus?
No alcoholic drinks are sold on the Campus and consumption of alcohol is forbidden.
- Does the Campus have a beach by the sea? Is it possible to swim in the sea within the borders of the Campus?
The distance from the Campus to the sea is about 9km and the sea view is available. However, the Campus is not by the sea. People go to private or public beaches to swim in Cyprus. The nearest public beach is 20 minutes away from the Campus.
- Are the Campus conditions suitable for disabled students?
The Campus is a disabled-friendly campus and is designed in such a way that allows all the facilities to be used to their maximum potential. The METU Northern Cyprus Campus Disability Support Unit (METU NCC DSU) aims to ensure equal access to resources and environments for students with any disability, make the arrangements required to meet the diverse needs of students with disabilities and provide support for their academic growth under the principle of equal opportunities for all. For more information, please visit https://ncc.metu.edu.tr/disabilityunit/metu-ncc-disability-support-unit.
- Is there a health center on the Campus for students?
There is a Health Center and a Counseling and Student Development Center on the Campus to provide students with primary health care services.
- Are there places to eat where students can meet their nutritional needs?
A 1500-seat cafeteria on the Campus provides various dining options. In addition, there is a patisserie in the shopping center which includes all types of food and beverage. The canteens also serve a variety of food in some campus buildings and dormitories.
- How much does it cost to eat at Cafeteria on the Campus?
One meal (4 Types) is 40 TL (2 USD) at the Table d'hote Dining Hall and 50 TL (2.7 USD) at the Â la Carte Dining Hall (3 Types).
- Is there a shopping center to meet the basic needs of students?
On the Campus, there is a shopping center for the daily needs of both students and staff that includes various shops, a supermarket, a bank, a patisserie, a travel agency, ATMs, a post office, a barber, a hairdresser, etc.
- Is there Internet connection on the Campus? How can wireless connection be established?
Each room in METU Northern Cyprus Campus dormitories is equipped with network cable ends sufficient for each occupant. Students should install a licensed server certificate and software produced by METU NCC on their computers, make the necessary adjustments, and then enter their METU-assigned passwords at the login page in order to make use of cable internet services. For further information, please visit: http://netregister.ncc.metu.edu.tr
It is extremely important not to violate the principles of "Information Ethics" adopted by METU NCC for using the internet. For additional information about the METU NCC local area network (LAN) infrastructure, on-campus internet use policy, and principles of "Information Ethics", please click the following link: http://btm.ncc.metu.edu.tr/
Quota is currently set at 5GB per week. However, METU NCC IT (Information Technologies) reserves the right to change the quota limits at any time in order to ensure the optimum possible service for all users. Students are not allowed to exceed the quota limit within the specified time period. In addition to cable internet access, wireless network is available for use in all academic areas, in the library and commonly used areas.
It is possible to make use of wireless internet services via mobile phones upon the instalment of the licensed certificate of METU NCC and completion of necessary adjustments to use the 802.1x protocol. In order to benefit from wireless internet services, you need a mobile phone which is configured properly to be compatible with 802. 1x EAP, TTLS-PAP protocols. Windows 8 does not have support for these protocols.
If you have a Windows 8 phone, you need to purchase a program to upgrade it. Otherwise, you won't be able to use wireless internet services. Please click the following link to see the list of mobile phones that are compatible with METU NCC wireless local area network (WLAN) infrastructure: http://netregister.ncc.metu.edu.tr/index2.php
D. Accommodation and Housing:
- Do all students on the Campus stay in dormitories or do they have to rent a flat?
There are several options for Campus dormitory facilities. In Dormitory I, there are rooms for either two or four students including bedrooms, study rooms and bathrooms. All rooms have air-conditioning, broadband internet access, TV connection, a telephone and a mini fridge. Dormitory I building has a lobby, a TV lounge, a canteen, a laundry and ironing room for common use. It also has study halls and three kitchens in each of the three blocks, one of which is for girls.
Dormitory II building is designed to include suites where three students stay in single rooms and share a common area of bathroom and study room. Dormitory II offers the same services and facilities as Dormitory I.
The rooms in Dormitory III are designed to house 4 students as 2+2. Nearly 26-28 students share a common bathroom with a toilet and a kitchen. There are also study rooms on each floor. Dormitory III offers the same services and facilities as Dormitory I and II such as the internet, laundries, cafeterias and lobbies.
For more information about dormitories and dormitory fees: https://international.ncc.metu.edu.tr/dormitories/
- What documents are required to register for the dormitories?
Certificate required for new students:
– A copy of the student document or student ID
– 2 photos
– A copy of the medical report
– A copy of the passport
Important Note: If any of these documents are missing, the student will be placed temporarily. Students who do not submit the missing documents in a given time will not be registered.
For more information you can send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- What are the admission requirements for the dormitories?
All newly registered students who do not have a specific health problem that prevents them from living in the public can stay in the Campus dormitories.
- What is found in the dorm rooms? What should be brought by students? Is it necessary to bring a quilt, a pillow and linens?
Dorm rooms contain all the comfort to meet daily needs. Bringing personal belongings is enough. In all the dormitories, beddings are provided to students and dirty beddings are changed with clean ones regularly. The following are advised to be brought by students:
- A bath set (hand towels, bath towels, bath slippers)
- A beach set (a beach towel, a bathing suit, sunscreen, beach slippers)
- An alarm clock
- A small table lamp
- An adapter (electric sockets on the Campus are of British style, it is recommended that you bring a British-European adapter; however, you can also buy one on the Campus)
- A charger
- A small sewing box
- A bag for dirty clothes
- Regularly used drugs
- Small decorative accessories that may make you feel at home, etc.
- What does a study environment in the dormitories look like?
Each student has a study table in his room and there are also study tables in the common study halls in each dormitory.
- When does the registration period for dormitories start and end?
Registration for dormitories will be at the same time as school registration.
- How is security maintained in dormitories?
While the dormitories are guarded by security guards, they are monitored with a 7-24 camera system.
- What are the accommodation facilities for parents?
Parents can stay in the Guest House on the Campus. The Guest House receives applications via the link below: (https://forms.ncc.metu.edu.tr/misafirhane/)Applications by phone are not accepted.
- Are there any casinos around the Campus?
There are no casinos around the Campus. Besides, students, TRNC citizens and people under the age of 25 are forbidden from entering casinos. Continuous passport checks at the entrances also prevent students from entering casinos.
- When is the dormitory fee paid and what does it cover?
The dormitory fee must be paid in two equal installments at the beginning of each semester. After the completion of the dormitory placements, the administration announces the placement results and the last payment dates.
The fee covers all the following services needed for a comfortable life:
- Heating & Cooling
- Daily cleaning and garbage collection
- A change of bedding every two weeks
- What procedure is followed for dormitory placements?
For new students, dormitory placements are done by a computer program based on some criteria such as the students' scores in the university entrance exam. Senior students are placed in accordance with their preferences as well as their success at school, their GPA, and their compliance with the existing disciplinary rules in the dormitories.
E. Academic Issues:
- Do the students who are admitted to the METU Northern Cyprus Campus programs need to be proficient in English?
At METU Northern Cyprus Campus, the medium of education is English. However, proficiency in English is not necessary in order to register. Students must submit the result of an approved English proficiency examination in order to pursue the degree program they are admitted in. For undergraduate programs, the English proficiency of students who are nationals of English-speaking countries, or those who have attended and graduated from institutions of secondary education which nationals of those countries attend is evaluated by the SFL Administrative Board. Students whose English proficiency is not at the level required by METU NCC are placed in the one-year English Preparatory Program.
Please see the acceptable English examinations:
- Is English Proficiency Exam difficult at METU Northern Cyprus Campus?
The same English Proficiency Exam as in Ankara is given at METU Northern Cyprus Campus.
- What are the library and research facilities at METU NCC?
METU NCC offers students the best research and development facilities through the academic units, library and labs available at the Campus. The METU NCC Library, which is a modern university library, offers research facilities at international standards. It provides students with special passwords that enable them to have access to many international magazines, books and other publications. Modern, exemplary labs exist on the Campus to meet students' educational needs. Also, when necessary, students can use the specialized labs on the main campus in Ankara.
- How does METU Northern Cyprus Campus recruit academic staff?
Middle East Technical University has mobilized all its resources and 60 years of experience for the success of METU Northern Cyprus Campus. METU NCC is attached to the main campus in Ankara in all academic and administrative affairs. The METU NCC academic staff are recruited and promoted in accordance with the same criteria set forth by the METU Senate and Administrative Board.
- What kind of a diploma will the students receive when they graduate from METU North Cyprus Campus?
METU guarantees the quality of education at METU NCC and grants an internationally recognized METU NCC diploma to the graduates.
- Will METU Northern Cyprus Campus graduates have the same rights as graduates of other universities in Türkiye?
As the diploma of METU Northern Cyprus Campus is approved by the HEC (Higher Education Council-YÖK), the graduates will have all kinds of rights granted to university graduates.
- Can the students at METU NCC stay in Ankara and study at the main campus?
The courses are conducted at METU NCC. Students may, however, enrol in some of their courses on the Ankara Campus as well, per the rules established by the university administration. According to these rules, METU students have the option of enrolling as exchange students for one or two semesters at the campuses in Ankara and Northern Cyprus (NCC).
- Do the educational standards adopted by the Ankara Campus of METU differ from those that apply to METU NCC students since it is a private university?
The educational standards are the same on both campuses. Middle East Technical University has mobilized all its resources and 60 years of experience for the success of METU Northern Cyprus Campus. All the educational programs run at METU NCC are approved by the METU Senate. The faculty are recruited and promoted in accordance with the same criteria set forth by the METU Senate and Administrative Board. Middle East Technical University guarantees the quality of education in the Northern Cyprus Campus and grants an internationally recognized METU NCC diploma to its graduates.
- Is the METU NCC diploma recognized by HEC (YÖK-Turkish Higher Education Council)?
The METU NCC diploma is recognized by HEC (YÖK) and is internationally valid.
- Are there minor and double major programs at METU NCC?
For METU NCC minor programs please click:
- Are there student exchange programs at METU NCC?
Students at METU NCC can benefit from more than 250 students exchange agreements that exist between METU and other universities just like the students at the main campus in Ankara.
- Are there summer school courses at METU NCC?
Summer school courses are offered depending on the demand and availability of staff and facilities. Students may attend courses at the main campus in Ankara if those courses are not offered at the Northern Cyprus Campus.
- What opportunities are provided to students for practical training?
For the compulsory practical training periods in the engineering programs, students are helped to find appropriate training places.
- Are there any projects to help students with their career planning at the Campus?
Students at the Campus can benefit from the services of Career Planning Center, which is located on the main campus.
- Who can take the CNG 100 Exemption and Mathematics Proficiency exams?
All students who have passed the English Preparatory Program requirements can take Exemption exams.
- What is the content of CNG 100 Exemption and Mathematics Proficiency exams?
CNG 100 Exemption is an exam of your basic abilities to use the computer and Math Proficiency includes basic mathematical concepts.
- What should you do if you are not successful in the CNG 100 Exemption exam?
All students who are not successful in the CNG 100 Exemption exam are required to take this course.
- What should you do if you are not successful in the Mathematics Proficiency exam?
All students who are not successful in the Mathematics Proficiency exam are required to take MAT 100 course. Students who get a score of at least 50 at the Mathematics Proficiency exam will be exempted from MAT 100 course and enroll directly for MAT 119 course.
- Who can take the ENGL 101 Exemption exam?
As for the undergraduate programs, the English proficiency of students who are nationals of countries whose official language is English and/or those who have attended and graduated from institutions of secondary education that nationals of those countries attend is evaluated by the School of Foreign Languages Administrative Board. These students can take the English 101 Exemption Exam in order to be exempted from the ENGL 101 course.
F- Fees and Scholarships:
- Will the students at METU Northern Cyprus Campus pay for tuition and accommodation?
- Why does METU Northern Cyprus Campus charge higher tuition fees than METU Ankara? Isn't METU a state university?
METU North Cyprus Campus is a state university with a special law, founded based on an international agreement.
- Are there opportunities for students at METU Northern Cyprus Campus to work while continuing their education?
Students can receive scholarships in return for serving as an assistant in the library, laboratories, computer labs, sports facilities, dormitories, etc. Please be aware that consideration is given to the student's needs and academic performance while designating them as an assistant. In addition, surrounding business owners may provide part-time jobs for METU NCC students within legal limits.
- Are there opportunities for METU Northern Cyprus Campus students to receive scholarships?
Tuition Waiver Scholarship: Tuition waiver scholarships cover 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% of the tuition. You can apply for the tuition waiver scholarship by using the online application system. The applications will be evaluated by the international student admission committee. For detailed information about tuition waiver scholarship opportunities please click here and choose your country.
- What other scholarships are offered at METU Northern Cyprus Campus in addition to a tuition waiver and dormitory scholarships?
* Merit Scholarship: To be eligible to receive the Merit Scholarship a student should satisfy all of the following conditions:
1- Should be among the top 3% of the total undergraduate students (excluding prep school students) registered to that particular program, based on CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) classification,
2- Should have completed the first two semesters (freshmen year) of a program,
3- Should have a GPA (Grade Point Average) of at least 3.00/4.00 in the last two semesters,
4- Should have taken Normal Course Load for the last two semesters,
5- Should have no FD, FF, NA, U or W grades in the last two semesters,
6- Must not have been subject to any disciplinary action.
* Student Assistantship: There are also scholarship opportunities offered to students in return for working in the library, laboratories, IT, sports complex, dormitories etc. In order to be eligible for this type of scholarship, not only academic success but also the student's financial conditions and disciplinary suitability are taken into consideration.
* Support Scholarship: On the condition that they are successful in their studies, students in need of temporary financial support may apply for this scholarship (with evidence of their situation) which provides them with books, necessities etc. This support is subject to the decision of the Scholarship and Support Fund of METU NCC.
Important Note: None of these temporary support opportunities covers Tuition Fees, Dormitory Fees or other similar major expenses.
Scholarship opportunities offered by the TRNC Government:
There may also be opportunities to receive the TRNC government scholarship for foreign students, once they join the METU NCC community. For detailed information, please get in touch with the International Student Office (https://ncc.metu.edu.tr)
- Under what conditions does a student lose scholarship?
Duration for Scholarship: 5 years in the program of study, plus 1 year in the English Preparatory Program (if required).
Condition: Scholarship will be suspended if student's CGPA falls below 2.00 in any two consecutive semesters and will be re-granted once student's CGPA is at least 2.00.
The scholarship of students who attend the English Preparatory Program for one year and have a yearly total of 50.00 or above, or students who score minimum 50 in any one of the English Proficiency Exams they take continues for another year. In other words, they can repeat the English Preparatory Program under the same scholarship. However, a student must not fail due to absenteeism because such students will not have a yearly total as they have not completed a year at the English Preparatory Program. The only way such students can repeat the English Preparatory Program under a scholarship is score minimum 50 in the only English Proficiency Exam they can take, which is the exam administered in September.
- Does a student with a scholarship pay the dormitory fee?
Students who have an education (tuition) scholarship must pay the dormitory fee and other expenditures themselves.